PDA

View Full Version : Using Rotaries for Lining, Packaging and Shading

dax172
26-09-2011, 01:31 PM
I am just curious as to who uses a rotary machine for lining, packaging and shading?

i use mine for lining and packaging colour in but have never tried to shade with them as i always believed that traditional coil machines are better for shading.

is there anyone that can show me there work using just rotary and advise on using them for shading?

marked 4 life
26-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Since getting my Stealth, thats all I have lined with, I do agree a coil is better for shading efects.

dax172
27-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Since getting my Stealth, thats all I have lined with, I do agree a coil is better for shading efects.

this is what i found but i know people do use rotary for shading but not seen any results of this other then from pros.

toetoe62
27-09-2011, 03:22 PM
I'v got a pretty complicated tattoo coming up, with plenty of shading so I thought i would try to do the whole of the tattoo with my rotary machine, but I will have a coil machine very close to me just incase, I will post the result when I have finished it.

marked 4 life
27-09-2011, 04:18 PM
I'v got a pretty complicated tattoo coming up, with plenty of shading so I thought i would try to do the whole of the tattoo with my rotary machine, but I will have a coil machine very close to me just incase, I will post the result when I have finished it.

Keep us posted Tony.

dax172
27-09-2011, 11:02 PM

Yeh please keep us posted mate as would really like to see how it come out and how it performed for you compared to a coil.

toetoe62
27-09-2011, 11:54 PM
I already prefer rotary to coils when i'm doing the outline, it is far more accurate, and it makes almost no sound at all which is ideal for me because i had mouth cancer not so long ago and some people find it hard to hear what i'm saying at the best of times so it's a big bonus for me.

regards
Tony

inkstar
28-09-2011, 06:14 AM

hi ya's

i was given a stealth rotary to play with the other day here is some work i did with it
all in all good litte machines i still would not move to rotarys i like my coils i find the stealth to be slow to work with but in saying this ,this was the 1st time ive use a rotary machine , good little machine ,light, i might just keep it for shading the tattoo's i did i used the stealth for all,line work,shading,colour, didnt even get hot tattoo's were done one after the other

pics up soon cant get them to upload

Viper65
13-10-2011, 05:16 PM

One of my first tattoos (practice on pig ear) that was 100% rotary.....

Viper65
13-10-2011, 05:26 PM

One more that was done 100% rotary, this is my daughter coloring it in. I did the outline work. I used a Valsturd Rotary which is like the Stealth, A Hildebrandt Marksman (light weight rotary), and a Hildebrandt Executioner (heavy rotary). I believe she is using the heavy one in this pic.... they work flawlessly.

heres the finished work...she is just starting out so she was "playing" with them to get a feel for how a machine operates..

2289 This is the light weight marksman, does some excellent line work...

Hope that helps..
viper

Tarantula
13-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Hey Viper nice to see you here :) Pics looking sharp

Viper65
13-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks bro, looking forward to meeting everyone and learning some stuff!!

dax172
14-10-2011, 01:41 PM
thanks mate that peice is great.
what sort of voltage do you use for your rotary for shading and lining? have you tried different bearings?

Viper65
14-10-2011, 01:59 PM
thanks mate that peice is great.
what sort of voltage do you use for your rotary for shading and lining? have you tried different bearings?

Not sure if you meant my post or the one above me....if your referring to mine, then thank you! I couldnt really tell you "exactly" what voltage i use, becuase alot of it is just by ear, when it sounds right I know it and go with it. I would say though in the area of 5.8 to 6.2 volts on that liner. On the shader I can go a tad lower and have really good results but the machines vary and depending on the needle size I have to adjust it for bogging down....so I may be at 5.5volts with a 5mag, or 6.7volts with a 15mag...see my point. I dont have any "set" position for them. Hope that helped, I do Love my rotary's much more than a coil machine, I am 100% more comfortable in using them and 100% more confident in using them.

tattytone
14-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Nice work mike, are the rotary cheap ones, i use a stealth and want to get another rotary to try, seen loads on ebay, but not sure if the cheap ones are any good, has anyone bought a good cheap one that that find good?

Viper65
16-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Nice work mike, are the rotary cheap ones, i use a stealth and want to get another rotary to try, seen loads on ebay, but not sure if the cheap ones are any good, has anyone bought a good cheap one that that find good?

They are relatively in expensive in price but I feel like they are of excellent quality. I have 3 of them: a heavy weight one that will push all the big mags, a light weight, and one very similar to the stealth. They run anywhere from $40-$50 a piece. I got mine from Hildebrandt tattoo. I would try to stay away from the Ebay machines Ive heard too much bad rather than good. I think the only one Ive heard any good on is the Jackhammer type rotary and that was only a couple of reviews.